Everything about the german shepherd dog
- DDR German ShepherdsDDR Schäferhund, also known as East German Shepherds, have a long and distinguished history. Developed in East Germany in … Read more
- How to Find German Shepherd for Sale Near me?How to Find German Shepherd for Sale Near me? With the proliferation of self-proclaimed German Shepherd breeders, locating a … Read more
- Wolf Dog German Shepherd Information with PicturesWolf Dog German Shepherd Information with Pictures German Shepherds have a reputation for being scary canines. There is a … Read more
- German Shepherds Bite Force￼How Strong is a German Shepherds Bite Force? How Strong is a German Shepherds Bite Force? The phrase … Read more
- German Shepherd Cost￼How Much Does a German Shepherd Cost? How Much Does a German Shepherd Cost? What is the exact German … Read more
- Are German Shepherds Aggressive￼Are German Shepherds Aggressive? In the United States, German Shepherds have long been popular as household pets. They are … Read more
- Like German Shepherds￼What are the Dogs that Look Like German Shepherds? The German Shepherd, a popular service breed, is a big … Read more
- German Shepherd and Golden Retriever Mix￼German Shepherd and Golden Retriever Mix Information with Pictures The German Shepherd and Golden Retriever Mix are popularly referred … Read more
- Long Haired German Shepherd Puppies ￼Long Haired German Shepherd Puppies Information with Pictures With its remarkable appearance and ease of training, the Long Haired … Read more
- WAS STEPHANITZ A VISIONARY?￼WAS STEPHANITZ A VISIONARY? Myths and facts about the creation of the German shepherd dog 1) Master Stephanitz knew … Read more
- train a German Shepherd￼How can I train a German Shepherd? Training a German shepherd dog is a rewarding experience and a great … Read more
- German Shepherd Boxer MixGerman Shepherd Boxer Mix Information with Pictures A mixed breed, such as the German Shepherd Boxer Mix, has reAquirements … Read more
- German Shepherd Corgi Mix ￼German Shepherd Corgi Mix Information with Pictures German Shepherd Corgi Mix is a combination between Corgi and German Shepherd. … Read more
- Baby German ShepherdBaby German Shepherd Information with Pictures Baby German Shepherd Dogs are one of the most popular breeds today, having … Read more
- Panda German ShepherdPanda German Shepherd Information with Pictures panda german shepherd are an intelligent, pack-oriented, and active breed that originated in … Read more
- belgian-malinois-vs-german-shepherdBelgian Malinois Vs German Shepherd. Which One is Better? belgian-malinois-vs-german-shepherd The German Shepherd Dog is well-known to the general … Read more
- what color are german shepherdsAdd Your Heading Text Here different colors of german shepherds what Color are German Shepherds german shepherd coloring pages … Read more
- german-shepherd-rottweiler-mixGerman Shepherd Rottweiler Mix Information with Pictures german-shepherd-rottweiler-mix With regard to mixed dogs, the German Shepherd Rottweiler Mix is … Read more
- ￼What are the Ways to Train a German Shepherd Puppy?What are the Ways to Train a German Shepherd Puppy? When disciplining your German Shepherd, you may imagine that … Read more
- Pros & Cons of Dwarf German ShepherdDwarf German Shepherds are what are referred to as designer dogs. They are the result of crossbreeding a purebred … Read more
- German Shepherd Chihuahua MixInformation about the German Shepherd Chihuahua Mix with Pictures What happens when we cross the devoted and massive dogs … Read more
- German Shepherd Husky Mix Behaviour Information with PicturesInformation About the Behavior of the German Shepherd Husky Mix with Pictures The German Shepherd Husky Mix dog breed … Read more
- Blue German Shepherd ￼Blue German Shepherd Information with Pictures Although the German Shepherd is a highly popular dog in the United States, … Read more
- White German Shepherd Information with PicturesWhite German Shepherd Information with Pictures The White German Shepherd is distinguished by its silky white coat, athletic build, … Read more
- Black German Shepherd Information with PicturesBlack German Shepherds are a recognized sub-breed of German Shepherds. While some believe that a black dog coat is … Read more
- HISTORY OF THE GERMAN DDR SHEPHERDManfred Heyne is now 85 years old. DDR SHEPHERD He has spent most of his lifetime with sheep and … Read more
- Belgian Shepherd & Belgian MalinoisWhat is this mystical herding breed, where did he come from, and what is he like? Find out all … Read more
- Hot weather tips!How to keep a German Shepherd cool: Hot weather tips! Tips for heat and dog As summer begins, many … Read more
- Dogs for kids?YES absolutely, dogs for children are important for growing up. Some people may think that a German Shepherd is … Read more
German Shepherd Info page and Blog.
A shepherd is one of the most popular dog breeds. The strong four-legged dog impresses with the typical color of its coat, which is bred in three varieties.
German Shepherd Dog: Appearance
The Shepherd is a medium-sized working dog with an elongated build. The body is strong and muscular, but by no means massive and overweight. The chest is deep and arched, the back slopes to the hips. The height at the withers should be up to 65 cm in adult males, and the weight of the dogs is up to 40 kg. The Shepherd has a wedge-shaped head and pointed, erect ears, which give the impression of constant attention.
Coat color and texture in the GSD.
The coat of the breed is primarily utilitarian. Three varieties are bred: Longhair, Shorthair and Stockhair. The stockhaar type is the best known and is characterized by a dense undercoat and a firm topcoat. The typical color of the German Shepherd Dog is yellow with a black saddle. However, there are also brownish shades or the so-called wolf color.
The Shepherd Dog: Service Dog Number One
Originally used as a sheepdog, the breed later developed into the typical service dog for the army, customs and police – about 80 percent of all service dogs are German Shepherds. However, they are also used as rescue dogs, avalanche dogs and guide dogs. The German Shepherd is an obedient four-legged dog with strong nerves, always alert and at the same time self-confident and resilient.
Shepherd as a family member
The German Shepherd is also very popular as a family dog. Who wants to acquire a dog of this breed, however, must bring enough time and patience, because German Shepherds need more than regular walks – mental occupation is also important.
Dog sports with the German Shepherd Dog
Shepherds are ideal for protection dog sports. However, they also enjoy the tasks of working dog trials and obedience training. Dog sports that require agility and speed may also be suitable, provided your faithful four-legged friend is in top shape. Unfortunately, German Shepherds are prone to joint problems such as hip dysplasia. In addition, these four-legged friends enjoy any task that requires them to use their brains or senses. Nose work, for example, is perfect for them.